My Lovely workshop

My Lovely workshop

Thursday 21 July 2011

RAKU DAY

My high- tech kiln!

Propane gas burner.

Set up my workstation in the garden and hoped that the neighbours had'nt hung out any washing, looked like it might rain so set everything out under a gazebo, no NOT the kiln. Lots of smoke and out of about 6 pots 1 survived, most cracked from the thermal shock, 1 blew up when I quenched upside down in the bucket, just missed me, and the nicest one made it through most of the process until I dropped it, hope the neighbours were'nt listening. Here are a few photos of my day.

Glaze popping off after reduction leaving smoke pattern.

Naked Raku pot.
Would have been nicer if I'd left the top black, next time! In fact I think that may be tomorrow. Chatted up the farmers next door to studio and they said I could use their yard to fire up next time,great news as I can then use the studio to prepare all the pots and dry them out before firing.

No comments:

Post a Comment